Readers, Mats and Tags
How does the IPICO Sports system work?
• The system is very simple. The tag contains a microchip and two antenna loops – one to ‘wake-up’ the tag and the other to send its signal. When the tag comes into close proximity with the antenna mat, the tag ‚wakes up‘ and begins sending its unique signal over and over to the reader.
• Our systems operate with IPICO’s proprietors RFID ip-x dual frequency technology. The transponders contain a microchip and two antenna loops – a receiver antenna to active the chip and a transmitter antenna to communicate with the reader by sending its unique id number.
How many participants can your systems handle?
• Each antenna mat can read up to 100 tags simultaneously. This is far more than the number of people that can physically fit within a 2.5 meter or 5 meter timing mat. The only limitation to the number of people a system can handle is relative to the timing line width. If you are using two 2.5M set up with one as primary and one as backup, you will have a roughly a timing line 7 feet wide. In the case of a 1,000 person 10K event, this would probably accommodate your needs. If it is a 1,000 person 1mile event, it will likely become congested as the mid-pack athletes finish. See system layouts for suggestions on how to set up timing lines.
• Our systems can read in average 200 tags per second.
Can my tags be customized?
• Yes. We can print the tags with your artwork design. We can even help you design it if you’d like. There is no additional price to the tag with the exception of sequential numbering (.05 per tag) but there is a nominal setup fee. You can customize tags to provide as event souvenirs, to enhance sponsorship opportunities or to market services and promotions.
Are your tags disposable?
• Yes. We offer 3 different disposable bib tag styles depending on your preference: bib tag ring, generic bib tag, or custom bib tag. In addition, we offer a customizable souvenir shoe tag to help personalize your race event. The custom shoe tag gives your race participants a keepsake to take home from the race event and provides additional branding opportunities for your race event and/or race sponsors.
Are the tags owned by the timer?
• Yes – no limitation on the number of tags and systems you can own.
Do your tags work with other systems?
• No, our protocol is proprietary.
What type of tag options do you offer?
• We offer a wide assortment of timing chips for races of all styles and sizes. For example, we offer a reusable shoe tag, custom shoe tag, disposable bib tag (3 styles), multisport tag, and an active tag. All of our tag options are compatible with our Lite AND Elite Readers so feel free to choose the option that best fits your timing business needs. • We offer a variety of transponders for races of all styles and sizes. We offer passive and active chips and you can choose disposable or reusable. We offer generic reusable shoe tags, custom reusable shoe tag, custom souvenir shoe tags, multisport tag and also fully disposable bib tag (3 styles). All of our tag options are compatible with our Elite and Lite Readers so feel free to choose the option that best fits your timing business needs.
Do you have a warranty?
• All equipment carries a one-year warranty on defective equipment. Parts and labor are covered for products that have manufacturing flaws but does not include defects resulting from it’s intended use.
Will the products be available to anyone in a geographic area?
What are the battery back-up duration/options?
• The system uses a simple 12v battery. The on-board batteries are designed to last four hours, and the Elite Reader has an LED to display the voltage – once it falls below 11.5v it issues an audible signal to warn the user to switch out the battery power. The option for mains power is also available.
Do I need a backup system?
• We recommend backup as good standard practice. Since our tags are passive, meaning they do not have a native power source, they utilize the magnetic field created by the reader transmitter to provide power to the tag. It is important that a tag remain within that field long enough to obtain enough energy to energize the chip inside the tag, allowing it to broadcast its unique ID. Although this typically happens on the primary line, it is a good idea to have a secondary line which actually tends to extend the charging field.
Is there any annual fee?
• We sell direct to everyone and there is NO annual fee.
How versatile is your equipment?
• Our unique technology and diverse product offerings allow our customers the opportunity to time a variety of different types or race events. For example, our versatile system has the ability to time road running races, triathlons, cycling, mountain biking, Nordic sports, mud runs, open-water swim events and much more.
Can I use your equipment for cycling (bike) races?
• Our IPICO Sports timing system is suitable for a variety of cycling (biking) events depending on participant speed. Passive technology requires that the tag remain in the charging field long enough to become fully activated. Our passive tag options – disposable bib tag or multisport tags are suitable options for cycling (biking) events below 25mph. We would strongly recommend an active tag solution, the “Power Tag,” for cycling (biking) events in excess of 25mph. The Power Tag requires less time to energize and is most suitable for cycling (biking) events up to 45 mph.
Can I connect your system to a network?
• Yes, our systems all use TCP/IP protocol and have an Ethernet port. They transmit data in real time via Ethernet and can be connected to a computer, router, switch or any other Ethernet communications device. The Elite reader includes a GPRS dongle that is activated through one of the USB ports. This allows communication with the reader via Internet through any cellular network using GPRS protocol (AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile).
Do you rent systems?
• Yes, we do offer rental opportunities to our current customers (rental opportunities are based on availability). Please contact an IPICO Sports Sales Representative for more information
How reliable is IPICO Sports system?
• Very reliable. This same technology is used in homeland defense, tracking of explosives and in vehicle identification. The unique nature of our Dual Frequency system makes it ideal for tracking humans and for a variety of sporting applications with 100% accuracy. Our timing system is used in over 60 countries and can be used in races of all sizes and styles. Some well-known race events our system is used in include Tokyo Marathon, London Marathon and Bolder Boulder.